Some crazy shit has been happening in K-pop recently. Since I don’t have much more to add besides what other people have already covered, and since I’m not sure how many people who follow this blog also follow other (better) K-pop/social justice blogs, I’ll aggregate it here:
- After Dal*Shabet had a special dance stage with B1A4 that involved physical contact between Dal*Shabet members and B1A4 members, Korean B1A4 fans (BANAs) spread rumours about Dal*Shabet’s Serri’s allegedly impolite behaviour backstage as well as about Dal*Shabet fans (Darlings) assaulting and kidnapping (!) BANAs. The police intervened.
- SNL Korea, the new South Korean arm of the American show, had a skit about Dreamgirls with the performers in blackface. Response from Angry K-Pop Fan.
- MBLAQ’s comeback single, “This is War”, opens with a sampled quote from Malcolm X from his “By Any Means Necessary” speech. Response from Feminoonas.
- The MV for Teen Top’s comeback single, “미치겠어” (Driving Me Crazy), featured Sohyun of 4minute as the female lead. Following that, a Teen Top fan posted a response to the video threatening Sohyun over her "raunchy behaviour and loose morals".
- CAP, leader of Teen Top, is asked on a talk show how he would treat his children. He responds that if he had a son, he would buy him whatever he wanted, but if he had a daughter, he would hit her and keep her at home. When his other members ask him why, he says “Because it’s dangerous for her to be outside”, and “to make her obedient”. Collected commentary at Feminoonas. FOLLOW UP: He has since issued an apology.